Monday, August 30, 2010

Old Friends


Today and yesterday have been less jam packed than the first three days in Pohang, so I’m writing about both days in one entry. On Sunday, I went out into town again, just to explore some more, and actually walk around this time instead of sit on the bus the whole time. I was mainly looking for a PC Bang to check my email, and I also wanted to stop into Home Plus to get a few things. Now I don’t know if it’s because it was Sunday, and stores were closed yesterday, but every PC Bang I tried to go into, didn’t seem to have an entry I could use. Most PC Bangs are on top floors, above the ground shops, but I could never find the stairs to the ones I saw on the streets. So I saw about 6 PC Bangs before I was actually successful in getting into one. I spent about two hours at the place, checking email and facebook. I was actually really happy that I happened to be on facebook during that time, because one of our new friends Daniel caught me on it and invited me to dinner with some other people from orientation. It was so great to think that I would see familiar faces for a change, I was really excited. It took a bit of back and forth planning to figure out where I had to go to meet them, but it all worked out perfectly and I met up with Daniel, Barry, Sinead and Brandon for dinner and drinks. It was a great night, we went to a traditional Korean restaurant, and then went out for drinks afterwards. It was nice to talk to other people about everything we were all going through! After we all finished at the bar, Barry and Sinead invited us back to their place and they were the best hosts I’ve ever encountered as a post-grad. Haha, it was a great evening indeed. When it was time to go, Daniel, Brandon and I got a taxi. I got home first (they live in the same building), but not without having a hard time communicating to the driver where I wanted to go. I was really grateful that Dan and Brandon let me go home first because without Dan speaking to the driver, I don’t think I would have ever gotten home.



I found a cute shopping street with a canal running along it.


Today was the start of a new week at school. I was told I wasn’t teaching today, so I just followed different teachers around and observed. Tomorrow I will start teaching!! Lunch was tasty today, better than it was on Friday. I think I’m starting to get used to the spicy. The soup during lunch had these really small, long mushrooms that I’ve never seen before but they were really yummy. They remind me of these brown things in Bibimbap, but I don’t know what those things are either. After lunch I was taken home by the two school janitors because they had my desk and chair in the trunk of their car. So after they got my new (not actually new, but in fact, kinda old) furniture into my room, I started unpacking my little knick-knacky things like photos and jewelry. I’ve finally started making my apartment homier! Around 5:30 I took the bus to the Home Plus because I wanted to get an Ethernet cable, more adaptors, and a coffee cup that I can take to school and leave in the teachers lounge. I also went there to eat dinner in the food court. It’s actually pretty exciting because there are lots of different choices there, and they are all really cheap! It’s easier this way for me too because I haven’t had to buy kitchen things yet. So after I ate, I went back downstairs, bought my things, and headed home. I was really happy with all of my purchases, but I was especially pleased to find out that I know have internet!!! Any who, I have to go to bed now, because it’s late and I have school tomorrow.


This is the third mug I've gotten since I've been in Pohang, but its my absolute favorite one!

This one I got just because of the silly grammar mistake.



P.s. Courtney is coming to live with me for the next week or so until her place is ready!





1 comment:

  1. love this blog, and love you miss sam teacher! glad you will be reunited with court-bort soon. let us know how that goes :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails