Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's time for the Seraksan Climbing Trip.....

Last weekend was a weekend I had been looking forward to for a very long time. It was supposed to be the weekend that I went to Thailand with my school. Of course, that trip was canceled due to problems we won’t discuss. But I didn’t let it bother me for too long, because soon it became the weekend of Mudfest, a festival on the west coast of Korea all about playing in the mud! I paid my money, got a seat on the bus, and then I found out about a climbing trip up to Seoraksan! Sweet! I changed my plans, and was all set to go climbing on one of the most famous mountains in Korea….for a whole weekend!




Sleeping room....after all our clothes were wet and needing some dry time
The trip started out Friday night. We left Pohang around 8:30 and headed up to the mountain. When we arrived, it was 12:00am. We then grabbed all our bags and headed up the mountain for a 40min hike to the sleeping location. The sleeping location was a shelter up the mountain. The plan was to wake up at 4am, be ready to go at 5am, and climb all day.


Breakfast time!!!


Well, when we woke up at 4…it was raining. And when we woke up at 5, it was still raining. So we just woke up at 6….it was still raining, and we had breakfast. Since it was raining, and there was nothing else to do…I went and took a little nap. When I woke up, everyone was either off on a hike or downstairs drinking. I went down to say hello… and found out some people were going to go back down the mountain to buy lunch. I asked if I could join, because sitting around taking more naps just wasn’t what I wanted to to at the moment.


  
 


 
 

We walked down the mountain again, drove to the store, and bought some ramen. Then on the way up, my stomach started to really hurt.  I felt like I was going to be sick. Luckily I wasn’t, and when I got back I just laid down for a while. But, I couldn’t rest long, because lunch was about to be served. As we sat around the table, I kept getting asked the question…..”Why aren’t you eating Courtney? EAT!” I said “oh, my stomach is a little sore….. so I’m going to pass.” Well, this was the cue for the ancient Korean remedies to start. I was pounded on the back, massaged in the arm, and had needles stuck in my finger. It was strange and a little painful. I was thinking that maybe it worked because I would forget about the pain in my stomach and concentrate more on the pain in my back.





After the medical treatment, I laid back down for a nap. When I woke up,  I felt better and decided to go for a little walk It was drizzling a little bit, but I figured it would be ok. After about 30 minutes, the rain started coming down even harder. I headed back, took a shower, and spent the rest of the night hanging out with everyone.

The next day we were supposed to wake up at 4am to go climbing. Of course, it was raining again. And still raining at 5am. So we all woke up at 6am, had some breakfast, packed up, and headed back down the mountain. After we packed up into the car, we headed to a new place to climb. It wasn’t raining anymore, but when we arrived, the rocks were soaked. We were able to climb a bit, but everything was wet. It felt like taking a shower and climbing at the same time! After a few hours of climbing, we headed back to pohang to get some showers and finally relax.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails