Sunday, May 15, 2011

Climbing on Sunday

Now, while Sam was out playing tennis, I was going climbing! When I stopped by the gym Friday, before Dan’s salsa performance., the gym members invited me to go climbing with them. Of course I was going to say yes! Nothing could keep me away!










We met up around 9 on Sunday and headed to the mountain. It was going to be about a 40 min walk I was told, to get to the place where we were climbing. It turns out, it was the same mountain Emily and her co-teacher had taken me hiking at back in September!
The Bolder Climb

We started walking, and maybe 20-25 minutes in the leader veered off and started crossing the river. It was time to boulder! He stopped at a giant round boulder, where we all took turns climbing different places on each side.

Climbing up
After we had all given it our best, we stashed the crash pad under a giant rock and kept walking! We walked for maybe another 25 minutes till we arrived at the waterfall area. Here was the big routes! The climbing gym owner went up first, like it was no big deal. Then it was my turn. Of course, my biggest fear I have during rock-climbing came true. That fear is to fall off the rock before you even start. And I fell. A lot! It took me maybe 10-15 tries just to get up the start! So embarrassed! But eventually I got up there, and climbed away. Then, another difficult section, also very close to the ground. Finally I got it, and pulled myself up. That’s when I heard the cheering and clapping. I guess a few hikers had stopped to watch me struggle up the wall. Since I had just completed it, I got a wonderful round of applause. It’s always feels good to have an audience that appreciates your hard work! Anyway, I got up that monster – turns out the beginning of the route was the hardest part!! After finishing I headed down and it was the next guys turn. And thank goodness he had just as much trouble as I did! It made me feel a lot better.
The crowd watching the activities
Ziplining Across
 
After resting for a while, we headed for the next climb. Of course, to get there you had to zipline yourself across a crevice! But no big deal!

We were ziplined to a 3 pitch climb. So we climbed, one at a time, then hooked in to a bolt, then climbed again! We were at the top of the valley! It was awesome! Luckily the climb was really easy and quick. We just spent the time enjoying the view. To get back down, we just belayed ourselves down. Again….no big deal! 


Climbing to the Top
The view from the top

 After a full day of climbing, we headed back to Pohang and got a super delicious dinner and I headed home to get so sleep.
Climbing Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails